SheWired recently published their list of 16 "Lesbian-Approved" must-see movies for the fall/holiday season. Here are our Top 5 picks from that list:
- Freeheld - Starring Julianne Moore and Ellen Page. The true story of Laurel Hester (Moore), a New Jersey police detective diangosed with cancer who wants to leave her pension to her partner Stacie (Page). The case became a lynchpin for the marriage movement in New Jersey.
- A Woman Like Me - Starring Lili Taylor. Part documentary-part narrative. Out director Alex Sichel (famous for the '90s lesbian classic All Over Me) was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer in 2011. In light of her diagnosis she began a video diary in which a cheery woman, Anna Seashell, plays her alter-ego.
- Suffragette - Starring Carey Mulligan, Helena Bonham Carter & Meryl Streep. Suffragettes fighting against the man (literally) for the right to vote in turn-of-the-19th-century Britain.
- Carol - Starring Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara. The big-screen adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's 1952 lesbian potboiler The Price of Salt. Socialite Carol falls for a younger shop girl during a time when the subject of two women together was an ultimate taboo.
- The Danish Girl - Starring Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander. Last year's best actor Oscar winner Redmayne plays artist Lili Elbe, who became one of the first people ever known to have gender reassignment surgery to become her true self -- Lili.